Santa Fe Chipotle Corn Chowder

Remember a few weeks ago? I mentioned a chipotle corn chowder from Santa Fe, and how the recipe accidentally called for an entire can of chipotles instead of just one chipotle.

Well, I looked up the recipe and it actually says - twice - "7.5 ounce can chipotle chiles." It wasn't an error, but I believe it is a mistake! At least, a culinary mistake.

The reason I looked it up is because I decided to make it for friends coming to dinner this weekend. Looking back at the recipe (which dates to the pre-Markonian era), I notice a lot of things I would change.

Aside from the can of chiles, it calls for a quart of cream, and no other liquid. I can't believe I ate that and lived to tell. Just the thought of that much cream makes my chest tighten and tummy gurgle. ... And cans of corn? I don't think so. Not when there is wonderful fresh corn available. 

So I took matters into my own hands, and created my own version of this flavorful and simple chowder. I have to say that we were all happy with the results!

~ David

Santa Fe Chipotle Corn Chowder

6 ears of corn
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 white onion, diced
1 canned chipotle chile with some of the adobo sauce, puréed together
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Pimentón (sweet smoked Spanish paprika)
salt to taste
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
a few sprigs cilantro, for garnish

Cook the corn. There are many ways you can do this. You can grill it (in or out of its husks), boil it, steam it, or even microwave it in the husk. All methods work, and each will produce a wonderful chowder. Grilling imparts a smokier flavor but, as the chipotle and paprika also have that flavor, the gain is minimal. Simply cook the corn your favorite way.

Once corn is cooked, let it cool, then carefully slice kernels off the cob. I find this easiest if you slice into a large bowl to keep the kernels from flying all over the kitchen.

Heat the butter and oil, then sauté the onion until clear and just beginning to turn golden. At this time, add the chipotle, cumin, Pimentón, black pepper, and a little salt. Cook for 1 minute to enhance the flavor of the spices.

Sprinkle with the flour, and cook for 30 seconds. Then, slowly add the chicken stock, stirring all the while, then the cream. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Add the corn kernels and continue cooking at a simmer until the corn is warmed through. Taste for seasoning.

Serve hot with either cilantro leaves or chopped cilantro on top. While this is a garnish, the flavor of the cilantro really enhances the soup.

Serves 6-8.

What to do with the leftover chipotle in adobo sauce? Puree the chiles and adobo together, then store in a small, tightly sealed glass jar in the refrigerator. A dash adds interest to any number of routine dishes. 





Labels: , , , , , ,